Food Protection Manager Certification

Why You Need a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM)

Providing food to the public is a responsibility. It is important that business owners who sell food to the community either from their home, from a temporary location, or from a food establishment, have the opportunity to increase knowledge, train staff appropriately, and reduce the risk of foodborne illness.

Iowa Food law, (including Administrative Rules and currently adopted Food Code) require that food establishments have a Person in Charge (PIC) that has a supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation/service. This person must also be a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM). Certification is obtained by passing an ANSI-CFP recognized closed book exam. Food Handler certificates or cards do not meet the requirement.

Obtaining Certification

There are a few ways in which you or your employees can obtain certification. You can sign up to take the class directly from Black Hawk County Public Health, or you can provide proof of certification from another accredited institution.

Black Hawk County Public Health offers nationally recognized food safety manager certification exams (restaurant, grocer, and C-store) and food safety training. Instructors are registered trainers with National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) and credentialed in Certified Professional Food Safety. Class instructors use NEHA training materials, along with regulatory experience, to provide 8 hours of training.

Certification Accepted from Other Organizations

Iowa State University Black Hawk County Extension offers training and certification exams in our area. Find out more by visiting the ISU Extension website.

ANSI-CFP Accredited Programs

Food Protection Manager Certification exams must be from one of the following ANSI-CFP Accredited Programs. "Food handler" cards/exams or "certificates of training" do not meet the requirements of the law. See list of options below.